The LRI’s advocacy arm is its National Coalition, a powerful network of state and local lupus organizations united to prevent, treat and cure lupus by advocating for lupus on Capitol Hill.
The Coalition unites lupus groups from both coasts and the nation’s major urban centers—New York, Chicago, Los Angeles, San Francisco, Washington, D.C. Find your locality on the full list of links at LRI National Coalition Members & Partners.
It’s the Patients’ Voice for Lupus Research
The National Coalition’s message, delivered for you:
- Be aware of lupus and the damage it can inflict on young women in particular
- Vote for increased funding for public and private research on the causes and potential treatments for lupus
- Encourage implementation of the 5-year Trans-Institute plan for lupus research at the National Institutes of Health
- Recognize and help us do something about the notably high number of black, Hispanic, Native American, and Asian Americans who develop lupus.
- Empower lupus patients to effectively advocate for improved treatments and a cure.
Mobilizing lupus research
The Coalition drove the call for, and secured, the multidisciplinary research plan for lupus at the National Institutes for Health. Published in summer 2007, The Future Directions of Lupus Research now guides the nation’s investment in lupus research. See full story
Eliminating Racial Disparities
With deep roots in urban America, the Coalition deals daily with the predominance and severity of such lupus complications as kidney and cardiac disease in blacks, Hispanics, Asians, and people from other racial and ethnic backgrounds. To combat these disparities, the Coalition has briefed Congress on the increased risk, collaborates with national organizations, and educates and assists underserved communities. The result: The launch of the Lupus Initiative to eliminate health disparities in lupus, with the goal of improving disease recognition and management of lupus in patient populations disproportionately affected based on race, ethnicity, and gender. Find out more
Championing Clinical Trials
The Coalition educates doctors and people with lupus about the surge in potential new treatments now in clinical trials—and the need for everyone to step up, enroll, and do their part. The Coalition’s most powerful tool: LupusTrials.org, which is educating communities nationwide about trials and their potential.
On the go?
Text INFO to 50555 and opt-in to receive breaking news about lupus on your mobile phone.
Message and Data Rates May Apply. Text STOP to 50555 to STOP. Text HELP to 50555 for HELP. Full Terms